Sunday 28 May 2023

My Poetry: To an Egyptian Working Man


To An Egyptian Working Man

We met in Toronto.  I’m the woman
who couldn’t keep her eyes off you, stood
stock still as the crowd peeled past.

Embarrassed, I took your photograph.

My husband wandered off, used to my ways.
He’s been really good about it all.
I talk about you often, have your photo
propped on the mantel clock.
He gives me a look now and then, but doesn’t comment.
Probably feels safe, with you being
on another continent.

But something did happen…
You looked so vulnerable, vacant,
slack-mouthed and dreaming.
Dreaming of eyes? Of painted hands, of perfumes that teased
the weaver, in the workshop of the temple of the King?

They’ve placed a square of lint across your groin.

I saw the x ray, fluorescent with hunger, infection.
Learned of parasites that stole your strength.
Were you handsome once?
Did the palace women ever notice the weaver?
Or were you, even then, a guess at a man.
Spent twigs, bound with dirty cracked leather?

One floor up, your starched, ironed shroud
stands outstretched.  A mottle-brown moth.

They’ve placed three saucers by your side:
Heart of Nakht, Liver of Nakht – each a child’s fist of hollow wood –
torn from the tree where you crouched to chew bread.
Brain of Nakht – two dapple black stones – plucked from the beach,
beneath the cliffs that you sucked you dry.

Your dignity label was missing,
The one marked: Private.




Denise Howie World Famous in B.C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment