Friday 26 May 2023

My Poetry: South Gare




She looked at the man
Summed him up:
On his own,
Sunday afternoon,
Three kids...

He smiled, she smiled
Called her children from the water's edge
So he would know -
From the beginning.

His girls hauled him up.
She studied them,
Younger than her own,
She could grow to love them.

He looked again, smiled again.

They would say she was mad
Taking on his kids -
So soon.

She kept her bare left hand in view.
Could he see the thin white line
That stood between then and now?
She hugged her children,
He smiled,
Gathered-up her future in a blue-cotton
Beach towel. And left.



3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed that. I know a few single moms that resemble this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed that. I know a few single moms that resemble this poem.

    ReplyDelete