Saturday 6 May 2023

Invite Luck into your Writing Life!


As in most areas of our lives, luck, chance and serendipity do play a part in how successful you are in getting your writing published.

Back in the late 90’s I was putting the final touches to my first short screenplay when Steve, our financial advisor called around to give us an update. We got chatting about my writing and he said that his colleague’s brother wrote scripts of some sort and he could take it and give it to his colleague in the off-chance that I might get some feedback. Worth a try, I thought.


A few weeks later I received my manuscript back in the mail with a card from the financial advisor’s colleague’s brother, which read, - this is great, send it to the head of the BBC and mention my name if you think it would help: signed Tony Jordan.

 " If you think it will help." Tony Jordan was and is one of the most prominent and respected screen writers in the UK.  (At the time he was known for Eastenders, Minder and many more iconic British TV programs.  Since then, he has written for Hustle, Life on Mars and The Nativity - to name just a fraction of his work!)

My luck continued when the Head of the BBC actually replied and suggested that I send it to BBC 2’s 10 x 10 series; and serendipity stepped in when the producer knew of a young director who was looking for a script to submit.  The director was Sarah Gavron , who went on to direct This Little Life and Brick LaneSuffragette and Rocks to name a few. This highly talented director saw the raw potential and took a chance.  

After many changes and re-writes the resulting 10 minute short, The Girl in the Lay-by received widespread critical acclaim, was presented in the Kodak BAFTA Short Film Showcase, and won the 2001 Las Palmas Film Festival.

Luck alone won’t do it though:

    • I’d put myself in the right place by having a finished, proof-read and edited product.
    •  I’d learned how to correctly format a screenplay, which meant it wasn’t turned down at first sight.
    • I’d studied the basics of screenwriting.
    • I had a unique story, well told.
    • I was willing to rewrite and make positive changes.
    And, most importantly, I submitted my work.  I sent it out into the world – even if it was via Steve, Financial Advisor and one-time-only Literary Agent!

    Keep on writing, hone your skills and send out your work, and luck and serendipity are much more likely to drop by for a visit!

    Denise Howie: World Famous in B.C. 



    Amazon.com

    Amazon.ca
    Amazon.uk









      No comments:

      Post a Comment