Monday 1 May 2023

Let me introduce myself - via my bookshelf.

Alan Bennett said, 'A bookshelf is as particular to its owner as are his or her clothes; a personality is stamped on a library just as a shoe is shaped by the foot.'

A wonderful concept and looking at my bookshelves - a scary one! My excuse is that I'm a writer. It's a worthy reason. I use it often. In fact I have a feeling that you'll see a bullet list of 'it's because I'm a writer' in a Denise Howie blog in the near future. 

But to continue with the eclectic-bookshelf-reasoning exercise; 
Up Country Swahili -  self-evident, no need to explain. Say it in Yiddish, Tropical Diseases, Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul, The Observers Book of Architecture and How to Shit in the Woods - ditto.  The thirteen books on murder and police procedures? Watch your back Kathy Reichs! 

I own the bible and the Koran. I have books on how to get rich and books on how to be happy and books on how to be happy and  rich! Two shelves of seminal writing guides, and dozens of poetry books. And then the myriad of novels piled at the bottom of the bookshelves - just until we find a space to put in more shelves, or until we can't actually get to the books behind them. 



It's at this point that it's probably the done thing to name-drop a few authors to impress you, then counter that with a confession about the embarrassingly trashy authors tucked behind the Russian classics but to be honest I'm not really sure who's in and who's out so we'll just skip that part. 

I am however delighted to announce that my bookshelf is home to books written by people I know - yes real actual people that I've drank wine with!  I also have a small but perfectly-formed collection of books signed by moderately-famous people. (The moderately-famous people only signed the works they'd actually written, just in case the previous sentence was a little misleading.)

And as you are getting to know me via by bookshelf you should know that the shelves are also sprinkled with rocks, fossils and knick-knacks, and more-often-than-not a light layer of dust. So hello. My name is Denise and I'm a bibliophile. 


No comments:

Post a Comment